We all are inspired to bake for different reasons;
- a special occasion,
- seasonal produce,
- or my personal favorite, avoidance of housework. Come on now,who is going to get on your case about not having cleaned the glass or made the beds when there are fresh cupcakes on the kitchen bench!
Looking around my kitchen I was lucky to have an abundance of oranges courtesy of my good friend Kathy's parents orange tree. So orange infused cupcakes it was. What better way to top off a cupcake then my all time favorite,the good old goes with anything cream cheese frosting. Decorating the cupcakes is your choice but seeing I was taking them in to the vet to say thank you I thought a doggy theme was appropriate.
Orange Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
YOU WILL NEEDCupcakes
175g butter at room temperature (Chopped in to cubes)
3 large eggs
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups self raising flour
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
350g pure icing sugar
50g unsalted butter at room temperature
125g cream cheese at room temperature
makes 15 standard sized cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced. Line cupcake tin with patty cases.
- Cut the unpeeled orange in to quarters and place in a food processor. Process until finely chopped, wiping sides down to ensure all the pieces of orange are chopped finely.
- Dice butter in to small cubes and add butter, eggs, sugar and sifted flour to food processor. Process until combined, stopping to wipe down sides periodically.
- Spoon or pipe mixture in to patty cases until 2/3 full and then bake in oven for approx 18 - 22 minutes, or until the top of a cupcake bounces back when lightly touched. (A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean).
- Once the cupcakes have cooled slightly in the tray, remove them and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the orange cream cheese frosting.
- In a food processor or with an electric mixer, beat the icing sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Finely grate the rind of an orange and add to mix, then add the juice of half the orange to mix and combine well.
- Dice the cream cheese in to small cubes then add to the mix, beating until completely combined.
- On medium-high speed, continue beating the frosting until it becomes light and fluffy. This takes around five minutes.
- When the cupcakes are cold, pipe the cream cheese frosting on top or use an ice cream scoop to dollop the frosting on the top of these super moist orange cupcakes.
Note: Cupcakes can also be made with orange buttercream frosting.